Author Topic: アマテラスの超ラブラブ幸せなコーナー、ちゅう~  (Read 136492 times)

Rinali

• 。。。なかなか頑張ったんだね
Ask Ixrec-先生 all your relevant Japanese questions here!

The spoiler is just what started this thread.
[spoiler]First of all, thanks for the time and effort you've put into your guide (Ixrec). After reading some blog/forum posts, I decided that I wanted to learn Japanese for myself as well, and so last week, before doing anything else, I memorized the hiragana/katakana (which, judging from the rest of the guide, is the first step on a very long and arduous road...)

But anyways, I just wanted to ask for opinions on good source material that I can start studying from; I know that manga is one, but I'm actually having a hard time finding raws (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?). I was wondering if there were any suggestions for say, easy news articles, or something along those lines. Also, are song lyrics a decent place to start from as well? There were a couple anime OPs that I liked, and since songs are common and most of the time JP lyrics + translations are online, I was thinking I could start from there.

Thanks for your help![/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:36:07 pm by Ixrec »
触れあうことなくても確かに触れあってたよ

Ixrec

• Administrator
Re: Source Material
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:42:03 am »
By far the most concrete answer I can give to any of those questions is that song lyrics are a terrible starting point, because they are artsy, and thus can screw around with the usual rules of language as well as expect you to instantly understand all the words/phrases they use.  Not to mention interpreting song lyrics (in any language) is little different from interpreting poetry.

Honestly, manga blows all the other options out of the water when it comes to first source materials, which is why I haven't worked out guidelines for finding other stuff.  What I really want to do someday is to get some manga and annotate the hell out of it and use that as a supplement to my guide so that you don't necessarily have to find a bunch of raws yourself right away.

Anyway, from what I've seen it's not that hard to find raws of manga, as long as you're not picky about which series, since the internet's coverage is far from comprehensive.  As a really quick example, http://www.rawmangaspot.com/ has an absolute shit ton of shonen-y manga raws.  I would hope everyone interested in Japanese pop culture can find at least one series there worth studying.

P.S. Congrats on memorizing the kana quickly. Keep up the hard work.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:45:27 am by Ixrec »
My ratings and reviews of all the VNs I've ever read:
http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/blog/?page_id=1481
Enjoy disagreeing with me.

Rinali

• 。。。なかなか頑張ったんだね
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:10:04 pm »
Alright, sounds good. I kinda figured that that might be the case, but oh well.

Thanks for the link to the raw site. Particles, here I come!
触れあうことなくても確かに触れあってたよ

Mazyrian

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:27:58 pm »
I'd say a VN with text hooker can be even easier than manga

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 04:52:56 pm »
I'd say a VN with text hooker can be even easier than manga

How the hell did I forget about that.

Ugh, somehow not being aware of those tools when I first read VNs makes me always forget about them when these topics come up.

Anyway, I would think a text-hooked VN is probably harder than manga (due to more reliance on text versus pictures and more narration versus dialogue), but it's definitely close enough that it's a perfectly fine first source material.

yimw

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 06:19:20 pm »
VNs are more difficult to read, overall, than manga but using a text hooker gives you access to more tools, like furigana insertion and easy dictionary look up, so I think it's a better starting option. On the other hand I guess those tools aren't going to help a whole lot with the more advanced grammar you're going to be seeing in a VN's narration in comparison to a manga's dialogue.

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 07:10:28 pm »
Well, the electronic tools argument isn't relevant for a first source material imo because
1) manga has furigana without an inserter
2) print dictionaries are better at the start than electronic ones, IMO, because it's easier to learn lots of additional information from them (not to mention using it adds a surprisingly useful muscle memory component to vocabulary memorization), and there's no crap in them to distract from the information they provide.  Electronic dictionaries become better once your vocabulary is large enough that lookup speed is really the only thing that matters.

Rinali

• 。。。なかなか頑張ったんだね
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 11:26:29 pm »
Alright, so quick question about は...after looking through the particles and vocab parts of the guide, reading some examples, and looking at some sentences from a manga, I'm a little confused.

How do I tell when it should be read as "ha" and when it should be read as "wa"? Is it kind of like, after a noun it's read as "wa" denoting a subject/context? I guess what's really kind of messing with me right now is not knowing exactly when one word ends and another begins, since at this point, my Japanese vocabulary is practically nonexistent.
触れあうことなくても確かに触れあってたよ

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:34:10 am »
At the beginning that is going to be largely guesswork, yes.  I could pretend to give you some rules of thumb but those would almost all be making assumptions about when the author in question does and does not use kanji.  The only ones I feel safe saying are: 1) は is used as a particle FAR more often than as part of a word, so you can pretend "wa" is the default 2) almost all words that contain a kanji will start with  a kanji

Rinali

• 。。。なかなか頑張ったんだね
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 01:29:52 am »
Geez, dict crawling is kind of painful lol ><
How many years of this am I looking at?
触れあうことなくても確かに触れあってたよ

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 07:53:38 am »
If you're throwing a reasonable amount of time at it, 0.5-1 years before "crawling" is no longer an accurate description.

Rinali

• 。。。なかなか頑張ったんだね
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:02:51 pm »
Ummm quick question about 来.

So I was reading the the raw for The World God Only Knows 180 and there's that kanji.
I looked it up in the dictionary, but none of the readings seem to match what's given in the raw (こい?).

Does this have to do with conjugating a verb? Or am I just missing something here?

Here's the link to the raw:
http://mangahead.com/index.php/Manga-Raw-Scan/The-World-God-Only-Knows/The-World-God-Only-Knows-180-Raw-Scan/01.jpg?action=big&size=original&fromthumbnail=true
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:08:52 pm by Rinali »
触れあうことなくても確かに触れあってたよ

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »
する and 来る(くる) are the only two truly irregular verbs in the Japanese language.  来る's command form is 来い(こい).

(btw, the link doesn't work)

Rinali

• 。。。なかなか頑張ったんだね
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:03 pm »
Ohhh alright, thanks. And sorry about that, that's really weird...
Well, the sentence (早く来い) makes sense now.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
触れあうことなくても確かに触れあってたよ

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:15 pm »
Welcome.

Also I just noticed the last four questions are all from you.