Author Topic: What visual novels are you playing/about to play?  (Read 312803 times)

KoiNoDensetsu

• 「この世界の果てで恋を唄う少年KOINODENSETSU」きみのぞヤンデレ~~!
What visual novels are you playing/about to play?
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:54:15 am »
I'm currently trying to get through all the endings in HinataBokko. (Note "trying"...)  It's terrible.  Avoid it at all costs!  The character designs and music are cute, but the rest... bleh.  Everything is so cliche and mediocre.  At least it's short.

So what are you playing? ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:15:32 pm by Ixrec »

I hope for a KimiNozo~
I wish for a KimiNozo~
I nozomu for a KimiNozo~

Bring the world AN OFFICIAL TRANSLATION of KimiNozo!!  This message is yandere-approved

Jayp

Re: What visual novels are you playing/about to play?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:13:10 am »
Well I listed them in the other thread already, but the ones I'm at least planning to finnish sometime soon would be:
Aoishiro
Kanon
Kazoku Keikaku
Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

Currently playing Sharin no Kuni. Like, right now. Somehow it's very hard to finish :P Like, you know... I'm reading it while resting my chin on my palm and idly pressing enter again and again even if something supposedly dramatic happens and I'm just waiting for it all to end... The drama is totally overdone and everything is just all kinds of meh.

KoiNoDensetsu

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 01:21:12 am »
I'm surprised to here that about Sharin.  Everyone seems to love it. (then again, there are a lot of people that think Kanon and ONE are amazing as well...)  That's a little disappointing since I haven't played a visual novel that has made me think "Wow, now THIS is good!" in a while. =/

I hope for a KimiNozo~
I wish for a KimiNozo~
I nozomu for a KimiNozo~

Bring the world AN OFFICIAL TRANSLATION of KimiNozo!!  This message is yandere-approved

Jayp

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:40:41 am »
The second chapter had some good moments but after that it's been fascinating.jpg if you know what I mean. The only REALLY good thing I can say about it are the voice actors as it has some of my favourites ones. Music and CG can only be described with the word "meh" though sometimes the level goes all the way to "bad". I don't like the writing much at all. It's way too preachy and overdone. I really don't like the translation either. It's like the exact opposite of what would be literal translation. Can't say much about the accuracy but they sure took some liberties translating it. Can't say I like the chapter system either, as opposed to separate routes... Well I guess that's enough for now :P

BTW Kanon IS amazing ;) Ayu and Makoto routes were anyway as I haven't played the others yet. Or at least they would have been if I hadn't spoiled myself with the anime, but I still enjoyed them.

KoiNoDensetsu

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 01:48:20 am »
Hm, maybe I'll just wait until I know enough Japanese before playing it.  I really don't like when translations change the original meaning.

I just didn't like Kanon that much.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was that great either.  Some of the stories had potential for the time it was released, but it got dragged on way, WAY too long in some routes (Mai) and there was too much filler. (Because of this, I liked the anime better.)  I also hated how every female character in the game was moe.  So, so moe. I don't have anything against moe (I like it, actually), but when every heroine has their own form of "uguu", it becomes hard to relate to them.  I really liked Ayu and Shiori's character though.

I hope for a KimiNozo~
I wish for a KimiNozo~
I nozomu for a KimiNozo~

Moriken

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:50:24 am »
I love Sharin >..<! The drama worked for me, I liked the characters, I liked the humour (which makes me think...how exactly did the duuumb Docomo-joke get translated?), I liked the story and felt the dramatic curve to be effective...well, for me it surely was.
And I didn't feel the novel's pace to be draggy, which many said about Touka's chapter. The music actually is better than I remembered it from inside game, I listened to the soundtrack a while ago and it pieces that actually work outside of being "just there" BGM. And there are two melodies that kinda got stuck in my head.
My favorite novel so far, above Ever17 and Umineko...and Oretsuba which I'm trying to complete now.

So I'm currently reading through the last two routes of Navel's "Oretachi ni tsubasa wa nai" after putting it off for half a year. The cast (esp. the supporting cast) is great, I hope for you guys that it gets a translation since Shuffle and Soul Link got one too. And the soundtrack is very good, one of the best game attempts at doing jazz/funk type of BGM.
And I'm reading a doujin VN called Juunigatsu no shuutaku (Harvest December) by talestune. Basically 13 short stories with the same characters and romantic comedy (that actually is funny, not like in a certain President game).

Jayp

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:10:08 am »
Hm, maybe I'll just wait until I know enough Japanese before playing it.  I really don't like when translations change the original meaning.

I just didn't like Kanon that much.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was that great either.  Some of the stories had potential for the time it was released, but it got dragged on way, WAY too long in some routes (Mai) and there was too much filler. (Because of this, I liked the anime better.)  I also hated how every female character in the game was moe.  So, so moe. I don't have anything against moe (I like it, actually), but when every heroine has their own form of "uguu", it becomes hard to relate to them.  I really liked Ayu and Shiori's character though.
Hmm I found the routes I've played in Kanon rather short. It didn't drag on at all, unlike how Sharin is right now (ARGH) or the tour-that-lasted-forever in KiraKira (I totally loved it anyway, except NOT ENOUGH AKI AND ROUTE WHERE???) or... hm, can't think of anything else right now. Really bad VNs don't really drag on since I either drop them or they have some bigger problems.

KoiNoDensetsu

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 02:15:39 am »

Hmm I found the routes I've played in Kanon rather short. It didn't drag on at all, unlike how Sharin is right now (ARGH) or the tour-that-lasted-forever in KiraKira (I totally loved it anyway, except NOT ENOUGH AKI AND ROUTE WHERE???) or... hm, can't think of anything else right now. Really bad VNs don't really drag on since I either drop them or they have some bigger problems.

Even though Kanon wasn't really a long game, I still felt it was too long. XD  Not the stories the girls have (except Mai's...), but the filler in between.  Most of the scenes in Kanon is stuff like Yuuichi eating lunch or other boring every-day activities.  It would have been a lot better if it just got to the point quickly like the anime did and didn't rely on filler scenes.

I hope for a KimiNozo~
I wish for a KimiNozo~
I nozomu for a KimiNozo~

Jayp

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:16:03 am »

Even though Kanon wasn't really a long game, I still felt it was too long. XD  Not the stories the girls have (except Mai's...), but the filler in between.  Most of the scenes in Kanon is stuff like Yuuichi eating lunch or other boring every-day activities.  It would have been a lot better if it just got to the point quickly like the anime did and didn't rely on filler scenes.
Weird.. I don't remember fillers like that at all. That or I just enjoy that kind of slice of life stuff so it didn't bother me. For what it's worth, I'm in chapter 4 in Sharin and I've played for 28h (and I've been playing on and off since the patch was released... almost a month ago) while 2.5 routes in Kanon took me 19h (I played it during 3 consecutive days just before Sharin patch was released).

Oh and btw, Touka's chapter made me hate her and Kyouko, and Sachi's chapter almost made me hate her and made me hate Mana... not so good. Houzuki is becoming the most likeable character :P He's probably the only sane one too. Or more like the only one cabable of rational thought. He's quite clearly the smartest one too.

I guess that would be my biggest problem with Sharin. It's not a VN about girls with problems but a VN about girls who either turn out to be angsty self-centered emo bitches or just as annoying in other ways so I end up hating everyone. Oh wait it's like they're real life teenagers oh wow that explains why I hate them! The second biggest problem would be that it's way too preachy. Morality blah how to be a better person blah etc. It's like it's trying to teach some life lessons and failing horribly while going off the charts on the level of corniness.

Ooh I can smell all the flaming that's bound to come. I'm about 86% sure that I'm being (way) too harsh but that's because I'm playing it right now and having such great trouble getting through it and it's annoying the hell out of me :P Actually I'm only playing it because I'm expecting some great conclusion (and because I want to see the ero scenes... and more Ririko!). It would take some real miracles for me to give it anything more than 7/10 though.

Eh what was this thread about again?

izmosmolnar

• Sings love at the bound of this world
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 03:22:41 am »
And I'm reading a doujin VN called Juunigatsu no shuutaku (Harvest December) by talestune. Basically 13 short stories with the same characters and romantic comedy (that actually is funny, not like in a certain President game).
Oh, I've read the action doujins of talestune. I liked them quite a lot. Ludesia was one of my favorite doujins, spectacular production values and well executed VN (some parts were quite confusing though). I probably going to try reading Harvest December too once.

Playing hinatabokko now, and a certain femdom game called Mainichi ga M (awesome fetish game).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:24:49 am by izmosmolnar »

Sundae

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 03:30:42 am »
About to play : Words Worth
yeah, I know, old stuff.
But sometimes you need some RPG action even for ero :P

yimw

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 03:32:15 am »
Currently playing Utawarerumono. After this my eroge backlog should be cleared (unless I decide to give Moon a shot) but I'm planning on playing Inganock, ef, Higurashi, and Symphonic Rain when the translations are released.

For the record I thought Sharin, Kanon, and ONE were all amazing.

KoiNoDensetsu

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 03:36:38 am »

Weird.. I don't remember fillers like that at all. That or I just enjoy that kind of slice of life stuff so it didn't bother me.

Yeah, maybe I'm just not a fan of that kind of slice of life. (I do like slice of life if done well though.)  Still, I felt it went a little overboard with the slice of life/filler.

Playing hinatabokko now, and a certain femdom game called Mainichi ga M (awesome fetish game).

I pity you with the HinataBokko situation...  I just finished another one of the dull paths which took about twenty minutes of my time.  So boring. -_-
The other game sounds sexy though. ;)

I hope for a KimiNozo~
I wish for a KimiNozo~
I nozomu for a KimiNozo~

izmosmolnar

• Sings love at the bound of this world
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 03:49:20 am »
I pity you with the HinataBokko situation...  I just finished another one of the dull paths which took about twenty minutes of my time.  So boring. -_-
Not really. I've played many many other games I'd call boring where you are dying to just keep holding ctrl, and hinatabokko is not that kinda game. And twenty minutes of your time isn't much at all. One usually spends more time on doing random shit.

KoiNoDensetsu

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 03:59:30 am »
Not really. I've played many many other games I'd call boring where you are dying to just keep holding ctrl, and hinatabokko is not that kinda game. And twenty minutes of your time isn't much at all. One usually spends more time on doing random shit.

By "twenty minutes", I was pointing out how short the "paths" are.  It's not the worst game I've played, but it's still really bad.

I hope for a KimiNozo~
I wish for a KimiNozo~
I nozomu for a KimiNozo~