Author Topic: Muv Luv: General Discussion  (Read 177335 times)

Sheeta

• The British One
  • Amaterasu Translations Staff
    • Winter Confetti
Muv Luv: General Discussion
« on: January 31, 2010, 11:42:16 pm »
Exactly what it sounds like. Discuss away.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:46:51 pm by Ixrec »

Nagato

• にぱ~☆
  • Administrator
Re: Muv Luv: General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:14:13 am »
Some project info:

- I have not taken the time to count Unlimited or Alternative yet but Extra is 1.36mb with 35375 lines of text. This does not include choice text, and it does include blank/useless lines in the count (for example, …s) but it's probably the most accurate count you'll find. Sumika and Meiya routes will be finished translating at almost the same time since they share the same script files except one. That's just to give you an idea of how much this game reuses the scripts.

- Right now the plan is to have translated images but we'll see how well that holds together when it comes time for testing. As of right now the translated images are working. This has been tested in other places (intermission image with the current day, background CG with Sumika crying at the beginning) but this is the only image I have available right now.

- I've already made a toaster installer which will work on Windows 7 (if you are trying to install the version we'll be using for the translation, it will crash because of the protection on the launcher exe). The installer will be able to detect if you have Muv-Luv installed already (uses the registry to determine this) and properly sets the font settings for use with our translation. It'll also be able to detect which installation method you used and uninstall accordingly (full install using the installer -> full uninstall, patch install -> patch uninstall). The installer will require both DVDs since it installs Extra and Unlimited at the same time. It also will need administrator privileges to modify the registry as needed. There's also an awesome new 256x256 icon. It looks pretty nice compared to the original (on the right).

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:18:39 am by Nagato »

Kiru

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:19:44 am »
Well then, good luck to everyone who is involved. :)
That's quite a big project you have there now.

AQZT

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:21:32 am »
THIS
Is why Ammy has, and always will be, the very best.

AQZT

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:33:27 am »
Don't know whether this has already been mentioned but...
Will you be doing partial patches for this project like with the others Ammy has done?

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:39:11 am »
Will you be doing partial patches for this project like with the others Ammy has done?

My instincts tell me to do the following:
1) Extra main routes patch, ie Sumika and Meiya
2) Extra full patch
3) Unlimited full patch (nowhere in U worth breaking it up)
4) Alternative partial 1 up to the end of the cout d'etat arc
5) Alternative partial 2 up to the end of the Sadogashima arc
6) Alternative partial 3 up to the end of the Yokoshima arc (yes it all takes place at Yokoshima, but those who've read it know what I mean)
7) Alternative full patch, with final Kashgar arc

This is far from set in stone, so if anyone has opinions throw them out now and they are very likely to be taken seriously.
My ratings and reviews of all the VNs I've ever read:
http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/blog/?page_id=1481
Enjoy disagreeing with me.

AQZT

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:05:45 am »

My instincts tell me to do the following:
1) Extra main routes patch, ie Sumika and Meiya
2) Extra full patch
3) Unlimited full patch (nowhere in U worth breaking it up)
4) Alternative partial 1 up to the end of the cout d'etat arc
5) Alternative partial 2 up to the end of the Sadogashima arc
6) Alternative partial 3 up to the end of the Yokoshima arc (yes it all takes place at Yokoshima, but those who've read it know what I mean)
7) Alternative full patch, with final Kashgar arc

This is far from set in stone, so if anyone has opinions throw them out now and they are very likely to be taken seriously.
Well, for UL, you could always do a cutoff near the beginning of the island training arc...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:13:52 am by AQZT »

zialot

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 07:23:48 am »
I have one question: will patches work with All-ages versions of games or not ?

Moogy

• TLWiki
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 09:49:47 am »
I have one question: will patches work with All-ages versions of games or not ?
No.

You'll need a copy of Muv-Luv 18+ DVD edition and the original 18+ edition of Muv-Luv Alternative, since Nagato isn't interested in hacking other builds of rUGP.

(I may not be on staff, but hell, I'll answer anyway.)

Good stuff, guys, good stuff. Hopefully I'll get around to playing the series before you finish the translation so I can offer some input.
TLWiki owner/admin

Pirkaf

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 10:24:15 am »
Sugoi!

maitrenuage

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:02 am »
Noesssssss  :'(

So the MLA fans won...  :-[

Lol at least KoiNoDensetsu will agree with me when I say it's better than KGNE :)

Have fun translating it ;)
I can't wait to try it.
Imouto Ijime - TL 100% - TLC1 100% - TLC2 100% - QC 7/17 - EDIT 7/17

Nagato

• にぱ~☆
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:15:07 pm »
You'll need a copy of Muv-Luv 18+ DVD edition and the original 18+ edition of Muv-Luv Alternative, since Nagato isn't interested in hacking other builds of rUGP.

(I may not be on staff, but hell, I'll answer anyway.)
Correct answer, just want to give out the Japanese title for the original game: マブラヴ DVD-ROM版. Our patch will not work on any other versions of the game.

AQZT

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 01:02:45 pm »
Now we can fight over what Ixrec's side project should be! (Assuming he chooses to do one of course)

Nerroth

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:41:54 pm »
Hi.

First of all, I want to wish you luck on the project, though I confess that an all-ages patch would be a useful option to have, for myself at least.

If there is no room at the inn for the all-ages versions right now, is there scope for allowing someone to pick up that project in the future?

Also, will other Muv-Luv stories, such as Altered Fable and Total Eclipse, be that much more likely for consideration once Extra/Unlimited and Alternative are done?

So far as posting on the forum goes, should threads about some of the Alternative-related merchandise out there (from the Volks A3 models and the Figma of Mitsurugi Meiya to the Integral Works background book, to mention a few examples) go in the pre-existing mixed board, or will there be a dedicated Muv-Luv sub-board in which such options could be discussed?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:43:39 pm by Nerroth »
Ire audaciter quo nemo ante iit.

Sirf*palot

Re: Muv Luv: General Discussion (order to play muv luv)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 03:20:08 pm »
Is there a specific order to play muv luv?

Thanks
You made Mikuru Cry!!!