Amaterasu Translations > General

[possible spoilers] Muv-Luv Extra/Unlimited references and translation notes

<< < (17/17)

HithertoAnIPAddress:

--- Quote from: Ixrec on January 04, 2011, 11:20:03 pm ---
--- Quote from: HithertoAnIPAddress on January 02, 2011, 06:27:49 am ---Also, several (possibly all) chapter titles in Unlimited and Alternative seem to be those of sci-fi novels or short stories (their Japanese translations, at least). From some posts i found by someone called Toranth back in 2006 (for Alternative at least):

1. 去りにし日々の光 --> "Light of Other Days" (short story by Bob Shaw)
2. 兵士よ問うなかれ --> "Soldier, Ask Not" (novel by Gordon Dickson)
4. 報いなき栄光 --> "Scanners Live in Vain" (short story by Cordwainer Smith)
5. 家路 --> "Getting Home" (short story by F.M. Busby)
9. 終わりなき戦い --> "The Forever War" (novel by Joe Haldeman)
10. 震える時空  --> "Timequake" (novel by Kurt Vonnegut)

His posts here for reference:
http://tinyurl.com/36zrjjj (HongFire)
http://tinyurl.com/323ba7b (gemot encubed)

Of course, Unlimited's last chapter (and ED) is named after "The Songs of Distant Earth", a novel by Arthur C. Clarke.

--- End quote ---

This part I kinda have to respond to since it affects our translation.  But since I don't want to sound like I'm attacking anyone, I'll spoiler tag the whole rant:
[spoiler]
Basically, I've heard this claim before (though with a shorter list), and at the time research into it failed to convince me it was enough to dictate the translated episode names.
First, while I am convinced the first three of your six are in fact the Japanese translated names of those same novels and not a lot else, I'm not so sure about the latter three.  In fact I didn't even bother doing any added research for this post after noticing that a simple google search for "震える時空 カート・ヴォネガット" turned up absolutely nothing about the novel.
Second, even if I could be sure about those six, I wouldn't necessarily want to use six correct titles and then guess the other four.
Third, even some of those 6 titles are just too far apart between languages to count as good translations in the context of MLA even if the were fine for the books.  #4 makes this especially obvious: the literal (and what we actually used in the partial patch) is "Unrewarding Glory."
I actually made an exception for the first two because my proposed translations happened to already be virtually identical to those titles, and the plot summaries seemed convincingly relevant.  As for Unlimited's final chapter, the problems above didn't really apply in that case, and it just sounded nice, so we used that one too.
[/spoiler]

--- End quote ---

[spoiler]
I'm not actually concerned with what the actual translations will be, just repeating an observation regarding the nature of the Japanese titles. And given that Yoshimune Kouki (the guy who worked on the scenario of the Muv-Luv and Alt) had acknowledged sci-fi works as a major influence on him, I'm of the opinion that the observation is, at the least, plausible.
[/spoiler]

Edit 14 January 2011:
[spoiler]
With the recent announcement that you'll be working with age to officially - localize the Muv-Luv trilogy, maybe you'll be able to ask Kouki about the matter.
[/spoiler]

Anyway, so much for that, more references!

Regarding the BETA, Yoshimune Kouki (the guy who worked on the scenario of Muv-Luv and Alt) stated in an interview in the Integral Works setting book that one of the origins of their designs is the Russian sci-fi short story Kraby Idut Po Ostrovu  ("The Island of the Crabs") by Anatoly Dneprov.

Spoilers for Chapter 8 of Alternative:
[spoiler]
The concept of using orbital divers to break into BETA hives most likely stems from Heinlein's Starship Troopers' usage of orbital drop pods for Mobile Infantry operations; Kouki in the same interview acknowledged the work as having the greatest impact on him during his childhood. The Particle Cannon of the Susano'o may be his "Yamato-ish" thing (referring to Space Battleship Yamato's Wave Motion Gun), though I can't really be sure.
[/spoiler]

Huge spoilers for Chapter 10 (seriously, don't read this unless you want to be spoiled):
[spoiler]
Final warning.
[spoiler]
The nature of the BETA as (organic) mining machines using the resources they harvest in order to create more BETA quite clearly screams out "von Neumann machines" to me. Another (though a bit spottier) observation: The Creators programmed the BETA not to harm any sentient life (with the stipulation that carbon-based life cannot be sentient). This seems like a warped version of Asimov's First Law of Robotics ("A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm." But what does "a human being" mean in the first place?).
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

KoiNoDensetsu:
I'm too tired to edit my original post right now.  I'll edit it later with the new info later.  Thanks for those that contributed though.

fern3887:
Quick question, what was the announcement that was given at the end of Yuuko's ending from the Unlimited timeline? Although it might be irrelevant, I am curious what was announced. It sounded different from the summon's meeting if you take any other character's ending.

Ixrec:

--- Quote from: fern3887 on December 13, 2011, 04:25:25 am ---Quick question, what was the announcement that was given at the end of Yuuko's ending from the Unlimited timeline? Although it might be irrelevant, I am curious what was announced. It sounded different from the summon's meeting if you take any other character's ending.

--- End quote ---

iirc, it was exactly the same summons.

fern3887:
Hmm... I couldn't really tell, so at least that is clarified. Thanks Ixrec.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version