Author Topic: Punctuation and 』  (Read 2240 times)

Balcerzak

• Jorougumo
  • I reject your grammar and substitute my own.
Punctuation and 』
« on: July 17, 2009, 03:14:28 pm »
As was mentioned, and deferred, in my preliminary report, current scripts and not wholly consistent on this matter.  Now that I svn downloaded the scripts and had the power of CTRL+F, I have located samplings, with which to investigate.

Usages with punctuation outside:
cca0008:
It seems you do not know of the existence of this school's historic 『Matebook』; the #1 popular high-class public bathhouse available behind the train station of this 『City』.

cca0020:
"『Bowl-form』, 『Rocket-form』 and such on top of the list, then 『Tsurigane-form』, 『Drooping-form』, 『Blood-form』, many more like that. With viewpoints penetrating subtler matters, things like 『Spearhead collapse-form』 can be reported on......"

cca0030:
Taichi: "Come to think of it, did you know that if you split up the kanji for 'woman' you get the characters that spell 『Kunoichi』?"

ccb0002:
While playing with my bangs, I set off on the hill-strewn path to school, commonly called the 『School Hills』.

(see also ccb0007, ccb2007, ccb2009)

Usages with punctuation inside:
ccb2013:
I did 『that thing she liked.』

cca0011a:
And when I said, 『Gufuu,』 I felt like I'd just sunk to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

cca0023:
By the time Nanaka's face had closed to within five centimeters of mine, I'd already begun investigating ways to save face by saying, 『Indeed she made it look as such,』 after the kiss.

Question:
Is it worth standardizing these usages according to the same rules as punctuation using English-style quotes (which sadly usually means punctuation inside, all the time, whereas I prefer punctuation go where the grammar tells it to) or are we better off just leaving them alone?

Ixrec

• Administrator
Re: Punctuation and 』
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:50:56 pm »
An excellent question.

The original intent of leaving the hollow brackets in exactly as they were in the Japanese was to preserve the intent of the author, but ofc he uses the brackets for a few hundred different things, so the intent I'm trying to preserve changes rather frequently.

In my opinion, whether punctuation goes inside or outside hollow brackets is a question outside English rules of style, as the usage of the brackets goes far beyond anything English punctuation normally does. So I make a unique decision each time based on what I think best fits the sentence.

In other words, there's no point in standardizing it, but if you feel any particular instance would be better off the other way, feel free to change it.
My ratings and reviews of all the VNs I've ever read:
http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/blog/?page_id=1481
Enjoy disagreeing with me.