Author Topic: Sekien no Inganock: General Discussion  (Read 83324 times)

Ixrec

• Administrator
Re: Sekien no Inganock: General Discussion
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2010, 05:25:17 pm »
One question: is there some way to know which particular voice file correspond to each dialog? I extracted the voices, but don't really want to search the 4k+ of them to find the one I want (I'm wanting the one with the clown saying "Konnichiwa, Gii")

I have absolutely no idea. Try PMing Nagato for technical questions like that.
My ratings and reviews of all the VNs I've ever read:
http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/blog/?page_id=1481
Enjoy disagreeing with me.

Mirrored

« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2010, 08:51:37 am »
Ah, completed.

So, all in all, I loved it. Very unique art style and a very unique writing style made it a nice adult fairy tale.

Spoilers follow.

The characters were all very solidly done-- I couldn't particularly bring myself to like Rua, but it was more about her lack of screen time than any real deficiency. Ati was easily the best character and one of the best heroines I have seen. She feels very real and very human. Gii was fun. Kia felt a bit bland at first but she grew on me. Iru, for the very few lines he had, felt perfect for his part. The bit players were all done very well and all felt fantastic, they created a very Alice in Wonderland feel.

The art style is beautiful. It's a great escape from moe (not that there is anything wrong with moe, but stylistic diversity is treasured). It suited the story perfectly.

I was spoiled on the Ati thing and I thought I would be furious when it happened-- I wasn't. She wasn't pushed aside to make room for another love interest-- Gii was truly furious about her death and he reacted appropriately. I found his bereavement to be extremely well executed. Before she "died" she did get to express her feelings and have an emotional conclusion. Not every story ends happily and she was the biggest sacrifice of the novel and it wasn't done poorly. Kia never felt like a love interest and felt much more like his surrogate daughter, which was entirely appropriate.

The story itself was very fun. Shounen meets Dark Fantasy meets Beowulf. I loved it.

I think the VN would best be read 1 chapter per night as a sort of adult bedtime story. Largely due to the repetition. However, some of the repetition grew on me tremendously and while I thought it annoyed me at first, the second it was gone I was upset.

Particularly: "APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE!" I came to love hearing it, and then when it was replaced later I was greatly annoyed.

At first I felt like a lot of the staircase scenes were poorly placed-- but towards the end they started appearing EXACTLY where they were needed and I loved that theme that would play.

All in all, I think the work is a 9/10 and that your team handled it very well. Some of the editing/writing was particularly gorgeous and poetic and I feel that this translation has really brought something new to English that we couldn't get anywhere else.

So, great job.

yimw

« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2010, 04:56:57 pm »
The repetition grew on me as well. Mostly the battles, especially Gii's lines and sexy voice ("Too slow" "Don't cry"). At first I was annoyed when the battles were largely copy and paste, but after I got used to it they were really awesome. A lot better than the drawn out fights in most VNs.

Overall I liked it a lot more than I expected I would. As a fan of mahou shoujo anime I really enjoyed the episodic/monster of the week formula. The overall plot could've been better but I cared more about the individual chapter stories so I wasn't too upset that the main plot wasn't quite developed enough. The world was also really cool, so even though I don't usually care about setting I was really immersed by Inganock's.

And of course the presentation was great in every way (art, music, writing, voice acting).

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2010, 11:27:44 pm »
http://amaterasu.is.moelicious.be/blog/?p=386

I feel like letting someone else make the new general discussion thread.

kidlat020

« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2010, 12:31:21 pm »
Ah, and so I'm finally able to complete this. this might contain spoilers...

First, I'd like to say that the art and CG is bad at first. But once you get used to it you'd might say "the dark atmosphere really suits with the ...rather bad... art and CG". As for the voices, well everyone knows, right? However, for me, this never failed to surprise me. It surprised me chapter to chapter ...which always caught me off-guard. Or maybe this is just me.

Anyway I think background is epic, but there are too many downsides. First, you'd probably think that the background/atmosphere looks unique you'd probably think "this might be epic". This will really turn you down when you learn that they just forced to finish this whole thing with Gii and Kia practically the only ones that the authors used in the plot. Other characters felt like they were borrowed from somewhere and after a short while they'll throw them in the recycle bin.

I have some questions with the story. Either I wasn't able to get it or probably plot holes. Spoilers, probably...

1. What would have happened if I made a wrong decision in...lets say at chapter 3? Aside from the fact that Gii will die, what would have happened to the City? What of Kia and Ati? What of the people in the Staircase?

2. In chapter 12, Kia was responsible for turning the City into ruin, As Gii concluded in his dream. But it wasn't explained how she was able to do so. But if it's not Kia then who?

3. Need clarification with the "numbers". 41 is the number of pregnant women (which would mean there are 41 unborn babies, as well) in the hospital in which it suffered an accident, right? the number 149 in chapter 3 is about..? the 33 "lives" of the deceased king came from...? and the 4 <stolen ones> are who?

Shikiller

• Keyfag
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2010, 12:39:57 pm »
The art is awesome!

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2010, 01:37:01 pm »
The most spoilery post in this forum follows. Do not read if you have not finished Inganock.

1. What would have happened if I made a wrong decision in...lets say at chapter 3? Aside from the fact that Gii will die, what would have happened to the City? What of Kia and Ati? What of the people in the Staircase?

Like much of Inganock, left to your imagination. My personal theory is that if Gii ever makes the bad choice (whether or not he dies, see chapter 7 for one where he doesn't) then sooner or later Kerkan gets his wish and the City is well and truly wiped off the face of the Known World.

2. In chapter 12, Kia was responsible for turning the City into ruin, As Gii concluded in his dream. But it wasn't explained how she was able to do so. But if it's not Kia then who?

Kia was? No, the City was falling apart in ch12 because of Kerkan's wish. If you meant in the past when the accident crushed the hospital wing, that was just an accident with no real cause ever specified or implied.

3. Need clarification with the "numbers". 41 is the number of pregnant women (which would mean there are 41 unborn babies, as well) in the hospital in which it suffered an accident, right? the number 149 in chapter 3 is about..? the 33 "lives" of the deceased king came from...? and the 4 <stolen ones> are who?

Correct about 41, that's the number of pregnant women, unborn babies, Kikai, toys meant for the children, and Creatures.
The 149 was the number of people Gii had seen killed by Blood Tree. It holds no deeper sigificance.
33 is the number of people the Grand Prince successfully created Zahhak from using Amnerol, hence the number of artificial Kikai and stolen lives at his disposal (until ch8 when Gii destroyed them all at once).
The 4 stolen ones are the Grand Prince, Petrovna, Lemure Lemure and Kia.

kidlat020

« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2010, 01:12:11 am »
Kia was? No, the City was falling apart in ch12 because of Kerkan's wish. If you meant in the past when the accident crushed the hospital wing, that was just an accident with no real cause ever specified or implied.

No no I don't mean about the City in ruin in the present. Obviously that's Kerkan's fault.

I was asking about 10 years ago 'city into ruin' thing. It was said in either chapter 11 or 12 that Kia was responsible for turning the city into ruin. This was shown in Gii's dream scene. Or am I missing something in Gii's dream?

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2010, 03:14:25 am »
Umm...I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, lol. Find the exact quote if you want further explanation.

kidlat020

« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2010, 08:42:25 am »
Sorry but yeah I think I also don't understand myself. ;D

Let me change it then. What happened after the faulty construction accident 10 years ago? what happened a few hours later that turned the city into hell? or whose fault was it?

and to add, 41 also the number of voices which randolph and kia were able to hear, right? If Kia is one of the <stolen ones>. But how does she differ from the other 3 <stolen ones>? How come she was able to hear them? and how does randolph add into that?

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2010, 09:40:37 am »
Oh you forgot that the accident was what prompted the King to perform the Phenomenon Equation Experiment.

The only characters we know of who could hear the 41 voices were Iru, Randolph and Kia. It is never stated why, but the implication I got was simply that no one else was listening (not even the other stolen ones). This is backed up by the statement near the end that the entire population of Inganock chose to ignore the voices and forget the tragedy, an event which all three of the above were immune to (Iru for being outside the City, Randolph for being genuinely insane, and Kia for being a Stolen One). As for the other three Stolen Ones, I simply don't think they gave a crap what the Kikai felt and never listened.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:43:09 am by Ixrec »

maitrenuage

« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2010, 01:28:25 pm »
ANd do you know who was the clown ?
I don't even remember why he kidnapped Kia (you don't really need a reason to kidnap a loli but...)
Imouto Ijime - TL 100% - TLC1 100% - TLC2 100% - QC 7/17 - EDIT 7/17

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2010, 07:02:28 pm »
ANd do you know who was the clown ?
I don't even remember why he kidnapped Kia (you don't really need a reason to kidnap a loli but...)

The clown Grimm Grimm was a living machine created by the Grand Prince during the Phenomenon Equation Experiment. I believe he kidnapped Kia in order to get Gii to run up the Spiral Staircase and make his wish, thereby overriding Kerkan's (it's pretty clear the clown was not happy with Kerkan's wish).

kidlat020

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:44 am »
so even the clown was against the very idea of the king who created "him". therefore the clown was against his very own existence. weird...

who is the "mask" and the "arm" in the inner voices of every chapter?

Ixrec

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2010, 02:08:48 am »
so even the clown was against the very idea of the king who created "him". therefore the clown was against his very own existence. weird...

who is the "mask" and the "arm" in the inner voices of every chapter?

The mask and arm are actually stated explicitly to be...I think it was "the people of Inganock" and "the history of Inganock", or maybe it was "the people" and "the City" but I can't remember where this was stated so don't quote me on it.

And no, the clown was not against the king. What the king wanted was for everyone's wishes to be fulfilled. imo, Gii's wish better represents what Inganock as a whole wanted, so it was only natural for the clown to want that wish.